2.15.2010

Indelibly Scarred For Life

A few years ago, a friend of mine named Becky asked me to do a tattoo design of her two son's names as an ambigram. This isn't the first ambigram I have done (that's another post), but it might be the most challenging.

 
 Max & Lucas Ambigram
After working on it for a number of years, I was convinced it wasn't doable. I started doing designs in an entirely different direction, disappointed for not being able to make it an ambigram. But it stayed in the back of my mind as I wasn't getting anywhere with the other design directions. 

Finally I started working with a mountains and water motif and developed a way to reflect the names. Turning 3 letters on top into 5 letters on the bottom was complicated, but I am happy with how it turned out. I'd better be since it is now etched into Becky's leg for life ;-)



2 comments:

  1. I am soooo happy with this tattoo design!! Colin captured the heart and spirit of me and my boys perfectly! I love that I get to explain to people who don't see the names right away what the design is and what it means to me. And for those who do see the design and get it... I immediately feel a connection to... they have eyes to see the unseen :)
    Couldn't be happier!! Not to mention the fact I have one of my best friends designs permanently inked on my body... NOW if I could only figure out a way to get a Shayla painting inked on my body that was light reactive.... (hmmmmm... the future of tattooing possibly) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. I was searching Lucas tattoos just to see what was out there as my son's name is Lucas. I have never heard of an ambigram. Wonder if you could do something with Lucas and Robert. Or Lucas and Love. This is just so unique and so amazing. You really blew my mind! Great job. Love it

    ReplyDelete